🛑 Your Google Analytics Data Is Setting You Up To FAIL!
GA is the WRONG tool to track your ads.
Estimated read time: 4 min, 51 sec
In this week’s letter 📨:
- 🛑 Why Google Analytics is the WRONG tool to track your ad performance.
- 💯 Everything you need to know about performance max campaigns and how to set them up.
- 🚀 Instagram just launched MAJOR changes. And they’re all to do with reels.
- ☀️ #FeaturedAd - Native
- ⌚ #BrandedCatalog Spotlight - Vaer Watches
Your Google Analytics Data Is Setting You Up to FAIL
Attribution. It’s everyone’s favorite topic right now.
Media buying has become harder after Apple’s ATT changes, with Facebook’s reporting having become wildly inaccurate due to the various restrictions enforced by Apple.
The other source of analytics has been Google Analytics. So can’t we just rely on GA?
Everything You Want To Know About Performance Max Campaigns But Don’t Know Whom To Ask
Performance max (or PMax) campaigns on Google — you’ve heard about them.
A lot of marketers you follow are reporting great results from them.
But what are they? And how do they work?
More importantly, what is the correct way to set them up?
Lucky for you, we’ve found the BEST resource online to answer all your questions. Read it here.
TL;DR PMax is an all-in-one campaign type that displays ads across all of Google’s channels: YouTube, Display, Search, Shopping, Discover feed, Gmail, and Maps.
If you’re an eCommerce retailer who has already seen success with Smart Shopping, PMax takes it to the next level by adding additional placements and reach — acting as a Smart Shopping campaign with retargeting and prospecting display ads layered on top of it. That sounds pretty amazing, right?
What’s even more exciting is that these campaigns can be used for lead gen too.
Ready to set them up? Here are some key things to keep in mind:
- Campaign structure - consolidate and condense as much as possible, with an eye on reporting. Keep it simple so Google can optimize your campaign.
- Conversion goal - this is simple. It’ll be ROAS/Conversion value for retail and calls, forms, etc. for lead gen.
- Location targeting - make sure you choose the option ’Presence in or regularly in your targeted locations’ if using these settings.
- Asset groups - do not take the easy way out here. You must give Google the correct assets for your product or service within any themed group. For example, if you do not give Google a video, it will make a horrible one, which you can easily avoid with a few hours’ work on Canva.
- Data feed - For eCommerce, the most important piece of the puzzle is product information. The data feed submitted to Google Merchant Center can have the largest impact on your Performance Max campaign performance.
Other setup criteria to be mindful of include Audience Signals, Exclusions, and Bid Strategies. Read the entire piece here.
Instagram Just Announced MAJOR Changes To Its Reels
We already knew Instagram was about to make reels their hero content.
The latest drop by Instagram confirms it.
Hear it from Adam Mosseri, Head of Instagram directly:
📣 Reels Updates 📣
We’re announcing new features making it easier and more fun to collaborate, create and share Reels. These updates include:
- Reels Video Merge
- Reels Templates
- Remix Improvements
- Dual Camera
Check them out and let me know what you think 👇🏼
— Adam Mosseri (@mosseri)
Jul 21, 2022
We suppose that settles it. The creator economy is here to stay.
#ICYMI The 2022 eCommerce Trends Report
With proprietary data from over 600+ eCommerce stores, the 2022 eCommerce trends report published by eCommerceFuel is not to be missed.
A timely reminder for business owners to look beyond ROAS, the report aggregates trends from brands doing 7-8 figures in sales (representing over $4B in revenues).
Learn what these brands are doing right and what lessons there are for store owners. Read the report in full here. (BONUS: Cool infographics!)
#FeaturedAd - Native
Category: Beauty and Cosmetics
Format: Single Image (Story)
WHY IT WORKS:
Minimalist, to the point, and functional, this ad keeps things simple. A summer-y color gradient in the background shows off their products’ minimalist white packaging to great advantage.
Coupons work well — and the typography and text used by the brand draw the eye to make their offer stand out. Overall, the focus is clearly on their branding, and the ad reflects the brand values: clean, functional, and minimalist products that can be used every single day.
Need inspiration? See this and 1000s of other creatives in Socioh’s ads library.
#BrandedCatalog Spotlight - Vaer Watches
Brand: Vaer Watches Category: Fashion & Accessories Template type: Rotating Featured Reviews
WHY IT WORKS:
- Vertical product shots against a dark background draw the eye, prompting a closer look.
- Featured reviews from popular publications highlight social proof and make the products aspirational.
- Secondary images in the background add depth and curiosity, leading to a higher CTR.
Socioh’s Branded Catalogs are proven to improve your CTR by 31%. Learn more here.
Why am I getting this newsletter?
The world of advertising is evolving fast, and keeping up with it all can be exhausting.
This is why we deliver what you need to know — and only what you need to know, once every week. So you can make the wisest decisions about your ads.
This newsletter is curated by Socioh.
Don’t want to receive this email? Just unsubscribe using the link in the footer and you won’t hear from us again.
Join our FB group for pro tips & insights about Facebook advertising.