💊 The unsexiest thing you will read today. But you do need to read it.
Your weekly roundup of only the most important content for advertisers
Estimated read time: 4 min, 37 sec
In this week’s letter 📨:
- 💊 Audience segmentation post iOS14. Yes, you still need it.
- 🛍️ Acquire better customers and increase LTV.
- 🪓 Time to axe your Facebook lookalikes and interests?
- 🧊 #FeaturedAd - Olipop
- 🇺🇸 Branded Catalog Spotlight - 4th of July
You STILL Need to Segment Your Audiences
Yes, we know! Audiences really aren’t sexy anymore.
We’ve heard a lot of people say that Lookalikes don’t work on Meta.
So why are we STILL talking about them?
That’s because we are seeing lookalikes perform very well in many of our accounts.
In this post, we break down why lookalike audiences made through Socioh are working, when so many others aren’t.
TL;DR: Lookalikes based on targeted segments using your own past purchasers are still the strongest signal you can give to Facebook. Think of it as putting your best foot forward. 👠
Top Tips to Get Better Customers and Increase LTV
Want to improve your customers’ lifetime values?
You need to start right at the beginning.
According to @heyitsalexP, “75% of LTV potential is already baked in before a customer makes their first purchase with you.”
So what do you need to do to acquire customers with higher lifetime value and keep them? 🧐
Here are some top tips to ensure you’re going after the right customers:
- Review your transaction data to study the top 10-20% of spenders to focus on how many products they bought, what categories they bought from, what marketing channels they came from, and how these compare against their subsequent purchases as also other spenders. No shortcuts here.
- There’s no alternative to in-depth customer research. Google your top spenders, create a map of all the products they’ve bought and addresses they’ve bought from, look at their IG profiles if you must - the more you know about their life and lifestyle, the more complete a picture you get!
- One of the problems with broad targeting is that you end up selling lower-priced items to casual customers. So how do you fix this? Tailor audiences and creatives for high-value purchasers. This may include lookalike audiences, custom creatives and custom landing pages.
Read the entire piece here.
Lookalikes, Interests, or Broad? Choose the Right Audiences for Your TOF Ads
If you’re running Facebook ads, you’ve likely received the memo. Broad audiences are outperforming others at the top of the funnel.
In fact, with all the data loss post iOS14, it looks like these are the ONLY audiences performing on Meta at all!
So should why should you even bother with lookalikes and interests?
Read this thread by @binghott before you embark on a killing spree:
Stop trying to compare interests vs lookalikes vs broad performance. It doesn't matter!
Use them all and allocate spend based on performance (or let CBO do it for you).
They're all different and great to run together.
BUT overall, all roads lead to broad. . .
— Barry Hott ☄️ (@binghott)
Jan 25, 2022
Don’t want to read the entire thread? Here are our key takeaways:
- Broad will do better over time as it is bigger and has few barriers
- Providing human input (in the form of lookalikes and interests) may help Facebook learn quicker, especially if you have a smaller number of weekly conversions.
- Instead of worrying about ‘best’ audiences, focus on consolidating where you can and testing creatives consistently.
Yes, we know! You us.
👉 RECAP: Notice how all of our featured pieces talk about NOT giving up on lookalike audiences? We swear we didn’t plan it!
👉 Despite the current consensus around broad audiences on Facebook, lookalikes based on your own data are your best bet to find your best customers.
#FeaturedAd - Olipop
Category: Food & Beverage
Caption: Does your soda channel goodness? Say hi to OLIPOP. 2-5g of sugar, 9g of fiber, and prebiotics for a healthy gut.
Headline: A Groovy Kind of Cola
WHY IT WORKS:
A chilled can of soda that is good for you? If you like soda, of course, you’ll want to know more!
Not only is Olipop’s video eye-catching and visually satisfying, but it also addresses the biggest concern of soda drinkers right up top.
Here’s "a new kind of soda" that is actually healthy. The caption centers on the key message, and the 15-second video is easy to watch. It showcases the product and highlights its health benefits in the time it takes to fetch a can of soda and pour it over ice.
If you’re a soda drinker, you’ll want to reach for this can!
Branded Catalog Spotlight - 4th of July
Template type: 4th of July Promotion
WHY IT WORKS:
- The red, blue and white frame draws attention and highlights the 4th of July promotion.
- The cut-price sticker helps emphasize the discounted prices without interfering with product images.
- Lifestyle photos are used to drive connect and engage shoppers.
Design and automate your product feed with Branded Catalogs. Learn more here.
Why am I getting this newsletter?
The world of advertising is evolving fast, and keeping up with it all can be exhausting.
This is why we deliver what you need to know - and only what you need to know, once every week. So you can make the wisest decisions about your ads.
This newsletter is curated by Socioh.
Don’t want to receive this email? Just unsubscribe using the link in the footer and you won’t hear from us again.
Join our FB group for pro tips & insights about Facebook advertising.